Friday, April 20, 2007

An Appeal


I am greatly disturbed by the information about Cho Sueng-Hui. Apparently he had some problems with shyness. Under no circumstances am I stating that his shyness caused his rampage.
What did disturb me was the unfortunate lack of understanding and knowledge of his public school teachers. He was asked to speak in class and for him this was a difficulty. Unfortunately, his teachers were not trained nor experienced in how shyness can affect public speaking.
Perhaps we need more information about how shyness does affect a student.
He was also teased by his classmates. This can be hurtful and painful. It can be difficult for people that are not shy to truly understand how shyness can affect someone. Of course ignorance is no excuse for thoughtless, callous behavior.
However, the damage is done and the hurt remains.
If you are shy and feel that you want to overcome your shyness please visit her. If you know someone that is shy please pass this along to them.
If you are not shy please consider your actions more carefully. I know that your intention is not to be hurtful.
PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM NOT BLAMING NOR DEFENDING ANYONE. I AM POINTING OUT SOMETHING THAT WAS INVOLVED IN A TRAGIC CHAIN OF EVENTS. THE RELEVANCE OR IMPORTANCE OF WHAT I AM DISCUSSING IS NOT SOMETHING I AM TAKING A POSITION ON. MY HEART GOES OUT TO ALL WHO WERE AFFECTED BY THIS HORRIBLE TRAGEDY.
Marcia, Your Confidence Coach

No comments: